In my opinion spying and counter spying MUST be more sensible. Right now its safe for larger player to just kill off troops of entire alliance. Only thing he has to do is spy before attack. This is massive problem to those who try to get up in rankings. At some point someone that has more hours in game will just spy and kill your troops inside 30min. And you cant do much about it.
If spying would be harder. Smaller alliance would have better change to build defensive traps and discourage attackers. Attacking would also be more risky move than it is..
1. I would make it so that spying tech has little to no effect on spying.
2. Spying techs effect on watchtower should remain as it is.
3. Spy units should not be killed in battle.
4. Town population, units in town and amount of spy units in town/spy mission should be most important factors when spying or counter spying.
5. Add risk simulator for spys
1a. Spying tech could limit how many spys you have in one town. This shouldnt effect on spys that you have in Tambo. This mean that if one player has a limit of 1000 and another has limit of 1500 then they can add in one town 2500 if there is tambo.
1b. Allow you to send more spys on missions. Meaning you could use more spys on one mission. Which wouldn't always be a good thing since sending more spys in small village makes it easy to detect..