Battle mechanics

• I am struggling to understand how battles/raids work and how the various troop factors combine.

Stamina = life points?
    Weakness = defense? It's a percentage of what?
    Luck = a random element?
    In armies of mixed troop types what happens?
    The rounds calculations are beyond my calculation. :(

• Yes, also regarding spying. I sent 100+ spies at lvl 2 barbarians and lost all. Then I sent spy missions and added all my military troops and lost all, 260+ units vs lvl 2 barb lol. I no longer spy barbarians because don't want to lose them anymore. And yes I made sure I hit spy and not attack button.

• Right, so, let me preface this by saying the battle algorithm has been subject of great criticism in the territories where Tentlan is currently active, so we are not oblivious to the fact that the current system can at times frustrate. Working on it is our top priority right now and we intend to introduce major changes in the way battles work in upcoming updates.

That being said, let me break down the current unit stats and what they do:

• Attack: Damage the unit is capable of inflicting over the Stamina of the opponent.
    • Stamina: Effective health/life of the unit.
    • Weakness: Determines the order in which units receive damage. All things equal, units with a greater % of weakness will always receive damage first. E.g. if a Lancer and a Bowman are defending, the Lancer will drop first.

There is an exception to this rule however: "supporting" units, that is to say units that are not directly combat units, will be protected by combat units despite their high weakness and will only receive damage if there are no combat units left. For example, if a Spy, a Shaman and a Lancer are defending, the Spy and the Shaman will only receive damage when the Lancer is down, despite them having a higher weakness stat. The following are considered supporting units: Spies, Poloms, Shamans, Quipucamayocs, Pochtecas and Settlers.

• Cargo: Amount of resources the unit can carry, pretty much self-explanatory but adding it here just in case.
    • Speed: Determines how fast units can travel. Currently this stat has influence only over the total travel time, and the final speed of a troop will always be that of the slowest unit in the troop.
    • Luck: Luck currently has influence over two things: the probability for an attacking unit in battle to inflict a "critical" attack, case in which the amount of damage will be greater than usual (between 100-200% max, this is random if a critical attack happens) and the probability for a defending unit to "counter-attack", case in which the unit receiveing an attack will inflict back 5% of its attack to the offending unit immediately after.
    • Rates: Amount of corn per distance point that this unit will charge in order to travel. No influence in the actual battles.

Hope that helps a bit. Help-wise the community is empty still, because we are just getting started, but guides and faqs will follow eventually. Cheers.

• Regarding spying: Send less spies :) Currently the greater amount of spies you send, the higher the probability of being detected by the opponent. You'll want to start with a low number of spies (I recommend no more than 10) and increase this amount slowly if you need to (since the amount of units also influences the amount of information you can obtain, however too many spies and you will almost always be detected).

• There is an exception to this rule however: "supporting" units, that is to say units that are not directly combat units, will be protected by combat units despite their high weakness and will only receive damage if there are no combat units left. For example, if a Spy, a Shaman and a Lancer are defending, the Spy and the Shaman will only receive damage when the Lancer is down, despite them having a higher weakness stat. The following are considered supporting units: Spies, Poloms, Shamans, Quipucamayocs, Pochtecas and Settlers.

I just hit a lvl 3 barbarian with 300 lancers and 100 bowmen, and lost 6 lancers and 2 poloms. I thought Poloms as support unit would not get hit unless all lancers and bowmen were gone?

• Victory!
    Krymac gained an overwhelming victory on the battlefield

Troops

Krymac
    [TOC] Toltecs

Holcan Lancer
    (294 / 300)

Polom
    (22 / 24)

Shaman
    (45 / 45)

Quipucamayoc
    (10 / 10)

Holcan Bowman
    (100 / 100)

Total: 479 units
    Casualties: 8 units
    Can be healed: 0 units

vs

Barbarians

Wall (5)

0 / 32,584

Spy
    (0 / 5)

Holcan Lancer
    (0 / 71)

Polom
    (0 / 1)

Shaman
    (0 / 5)

Quipucamayoc
    (0 / 5)

Holcan Bowman
    (0 / 7)

Atlatl Hunter
    (0 / 3)

Total: 98 units
    Casualties: 98 units
    Can be healed: 6 units

Round details

Attacker KrymacDefender BarbariansRound 1471 units0 units

Results

The battle ended after 1 rounds and with 106 casualties. Winner: Krymac
    The army of the attacker Krymac has pillaged Konik Xnuk [502:559]
    Original cargo: 94,150
    Booty: 48,836 25,118 15,182

• This is after removing quipu, same exact scenario:

Krymac vs Barbarians
    19:29 (less than a minute ago) in: [481:554] Kiinal Bon

Victory!
    Krymac gained an overwhelming victory on the battlefield

Troops

Krymac
    [TOC] Toltecs

Holcan Lancer
    (294 / 300)

Polom
    (24 / 24)

Shaman
    (45 / 45)

Holcan Bowman
    (100 / 100)

Total: 469 units
    Casualties: 6 units
    Can be healed: 0 units

vs

Barbarians

Wall (5)

0 / 32,584

Spy
    (0 / 5)

Holcan Lancer
    (0 / 71)

Polom
    (0 / 1)

Shaman
    (0 / 5)

Quipucamayoc
    (0 / 5)

Holcan Bowman
    (0 / 7)

Atlatl Hunter
    (0 / 3)

Total: 98 units
    Casualties: 98 units
    Can be healed: 7 units

Round details

Attacker KrymacDefender BarbariansRound 1463 units0 units

Results

The battle ended after 1 rounds and with 104 casualties. Winner: Krymac
    The army of the attacker Krymac has pillaged Kiinal Bon [481:554]
    Original cargo: 99,610
    Booty: 48,836 25,118 15,182

• Right, sorry about that, good that you are bringing these up because I forgot to mention that part. While the above rule applies in all cases, there is in fact a small chance (10%) per round that supporting units get hit, but if they do the damage will never be above 10% the normal damage unless no other combat units are left. In practice this means that supporting units on average will still receive damage but in small amounts. It also effectively means it's pretty hard to predict accurately in advance the result of the battle since there are many random factors at play.

This is all subject to change however, since like I mentioned before we plan on working on the battle system further.